Why Music In The Church?
- After escaping from the Egyptians and crossing the Red Sea, the people of Israel sang a song to the Lord (Exod. 15).
- Singing was part of Israel's formal worship in both tabernacle and temple (1 Chron. 6:31-32).
- The Psalms bear rich testimony that in joy and sorrow, in praise and lament, the faithful raise their voices in song to God. (Psalm).
- Jesus serves the first communion to his disciples, and "After singing psalms they went out to the Mount of Olives." (Matt. 26:30).
- The Apostle Paul instructed the Colossians, "Let the message about the Messiah dwell richly among you, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, and singing psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs, with gratitude in your hearts to God. And whatever you do, in word or in deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him." (Col. 3: 16-17).
Music and song continue to play a vital role in the life of God's people today. As a form of worshiping God, a way that we can focus on Who is important, and prepares our heart to hear from God. Contemporary culture and modern technology bring new possibilities and new challenges to the music ministry of the church. Our lives are surrounded by music—television, and radio and much has become background noise. Within Christ's church music and the song is part of worship, a time that we can look to Him, and put God in the foreground. The next time you're worshiping God; Lift your voice and let all hear you sing praise to the King.
At First Baptist Church Fresno Texas, we welcome all forms of music and song from traditional hymns to modern contemporary that praises our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. After all, all that we do is because of Him, Jesus Christ. The church has welcomed several professional artists and always with open doors to the public to enjoy with no door charge. Next time you are in the area, stop by for worship and keep an eye out for visiting artist such as: